Saturday, March 31, 2012

Kitchen Shelving Transformation – Ombre Paint Chip Clock

It’s finally time for the last project from my March Break kitchen shelving transformation . . . the secret project.

Not even my Mom has seen it.

Ombre Paint Chip Clock Graphic Banner

My secret project came about as the result of a mishap. My original plan was to spray paint the surround of the black kitchen clock, but, when I tried to disassemble it, the clock stopped working properly! In fact, all my reveal photos show the same time.

Kitchen Transformation Banner WM

Oops!

On to Plan B. Buy a $3.44 clearance clock from the grocery store.

Clock Before

{Not bad to start, but wait until you see the finished product!}

I knew from this post on the Silhouette blog that I could buy a clock face shape for 99 cents and then customize it to create a completely different clock.

Source: Silhouette America Blog

So, that’s exactly what I did.

After disassembling the clock to establish that a makeover was possible, I downloaded the shape from the Silhouette store and then customized my clock face in Silhouette Studio using the font My Own Topher for the numbers.

Clock Face screenshot

Then, I cut the clock face out of scrapbook paper using my Silhouette (I love that the paper says “date” and “time” on it!).

Clock Face Die Cut

After that, I covered the front of my die cut with Glad Press ’N Seal and peeled it off the cutting mat. This enabled me to move it while maintaining the placement of the pieces inside some of the numbers.

Clock Spray Adhesive

Next, I covered the back of the die cut with permanent spray adhesive and attached a paint chip piece (leftover from choosing a colour for my painted wooden boxes) behind each number starting with the darkest shade at the 12.  The spray adhesive made the paint chip stick to the loose pieces of each number. I taped down the edges for extra staying power.

Clock Paint Chips

Finally, I flipped it over and carefully peeled away the Press ‘N Seal.

Clock Press 'n Seal

I also customized the look of the clock’s metal surround.

I spray painted it with primer and then painted it again using my new favourite spray paint colour . . .

Priming Clock Surround

Krylon’s Catalina Mist.

closet-10-0310-de[1]

And here is what my ombre paint chip clock looked like after it was assembled.

Clock After

So fun and fresh!

I can hardly believe it is the same clock.

Let’s see the side-by-side comparison to truly appreciate this makeover.

Clock Before & After WM

Check out the colour gradient from 12 to 6 and 6 to 12!

Clock Collage WM

I didn’t even have to paint the hands. They were the perfect colour to begin with.

Curious how much this makeover cost?

  • Clock – $3.44
  • Spray paint – already owned, also used for the magnetic message board and mason jars.
  • Scrapbook paper – already owned
  • Silhouette shape – 99 cents

Total: Under $10 (and really, under $5 as well!)

Ombre Clock Banner

With that, the story of my kitchen shelving transformation is complete . . . for now!

Are you a fan of all the ombre projects that are popular this year?

Pin It

P.S. Want to read about the other projects in this series?

Linking up to these great parties as well as those on my Link Parties page!

Thank you to all the hosts!

Home Stories A2Z
 

28 comments:

  1. Great use of paint chips to make a very unique clock. I was looking forward to seeing this and it was worth the wait. Clever girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your clock. It doesn't look like it would fall under $5!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great under $5.00 transformation. Love your new clock! And thanks for stopping by my little blog and leaving sweet comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks awesome! Such a great project! I REALLY need to get my hands on a Silhouette!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful transformation, love that colour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this Claire! My favourite project so far...and that paint colour would look great in Arabella's room ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Claire,

    This is amazing! I love the different colors on the clock numbers and the clock face is incredible.

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  8. The clock is incredible. I really loved the dramatic before and after. Thanks for the great (cheap) project :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooo...very awesome! I love it! Thanks for linking it up to Cutesy Monday!

    Kathryn
    destinationcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow seriously love this! Just pinned it. Your blog is really awesome been checking some of your other amazing projects!

    http://fitcraftystylishandhappy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a creative idea! I love it. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is just super! Never thought about spicing up my clock! Thanks for sharing this and showing us how!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a creative idea, Claire! I love the ombre effect. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today. I really appreciate your super thoughtful comment!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Claire = AMAZING!!!!!!!

    I would LOVE IT if you shared this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality... PLEASE :)
    http://thediydreamer.blogspot.ca/2012/04/from-dream-to-reality-linky-party-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wouldn't have thought to download a clock face for my Silhouette ... I love this! I'm pinning it ... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love you clock make-over...you chose such great details for the face. I may have to give this a try. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is a wonderful update, looks great, and I love the colour you paint the clock frame.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this! What a fun and easy little thing with big impact!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a great idea! I would love for you to link up at my Linky Party via: http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/2012/04/show-me-what-you-got-linky-party-8.html

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW this is an incredible idea!! And great tutorial! I would love this clock in my house! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So cute and creative! I love that paper you used. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooooh! You've inspired me to try changing the face on the clock in our bathroom that we just remodeled. I've already painted the frame around the clock, but I'd like the the face to look different! Thank you!!!

    Loribeth
    http://small-moments-blog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. I already left you a comment but popped back in to tell you that I featured this clock on my blog today ... I love it!

    http://www.dukesandduchesses.com/2012/04/link-party-favorites-and-winner.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. SO SO cute!! I love this and the paper you chose is perfect!!

    Emily @52mantels.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is really clever. I love them all. I want to try my own but you gave me way too many awesome options!

    New follower from A Night Owl

    www.simply-lovely-things.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I appreciate you taking the time to comment - it makes my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...