Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Die Cut Faux Printables

Printables have become very popular in the last few years. I have hundreds of them saved and more pinned, but I don’t have an endless supply of ink. If you have a die cut machine like a Silhouette or Cricut, save your ink and create faux printables with your paper stash instead!


I have seen tutorials for making art like this with vinyl, but not with paper so I thought I would share how I create my “printables” now that I have a Silhouette.


Lucky Die Cut Print



Choose your background and foreground colours. I only needed to use letter size paper since I was creating an 8 x 10 print.



Design your printable. I used the free font English Essay for the word Lucky. It is a script font that both cuts and transfers well whether you want to use the lettering or the negative space left behind.



Lucky Die Cut Screenshot

Send the design for your foreground to cut.



Load paper into Silhouette



Have you ever fiddled with a printable trying to cut it down to size to fit the dimensions of your frame? Never again! If the opening of your frame is 8 x 10, draw an 8 x 10 rectangle in your cutting program, send it to cut and that’s it! Perfect fit.



Press 'N Seal trick



Cut your background colour. If you are using one colour as the background, create another rectangle that matches the size of your opening OR change your cut lines so that only this shape cuts.



Cut your background paper



Spray (or glue) the reverse of your foreground with spray adhesive (a permanent bond is best). Make sure that your lettering is well-sprayed so that all the pieces will transfer and stick well.



Spray adhesive



Glue your foreground and background together. Watch out for pet hairs!



Glue together pieces



Carefully peel off the Press ‘n Seal, transfer tape etc., making sure that all small pieces adhere to the background.



Peel off the Press 'n Seal



Frame up your “printable” and enjoy!



Frame your print



Here are two other “printables” that I made, pre-blog, using the same technique . . .



Valentine print framedChristmas print framed



And one more to show that you can use pieces of different papers to achieve a multi-coloured effect. The design was inspired by this very generous freebie from Sprik Space.



Be mine framed

(Yes, that’s me in the corner . . . again, pre-blog!)


What do you think? Will you be making a “faux” printable in the future? I guess it’s time for me to start thinking about a new design for spring!

Thanks for visiting!

Pin It

Linking up to Home Stories A to Z - Week 51

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for stopping by Harrison Home! I am glad you liked the stencil, it was really easy!! What cool projects you have done, I especially like the paint chip art and banners!! I have so many floating around I am going to have to try that! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What cute projects! I would much rather use pattern paper than printer ink, so this is a great idea. Thanks for sharing it on the Silhouette Plus forum. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my site, Kelly! You are such a wealth of Silhouette knowledge on the forum and on Flikr. I appreciate all the tips you share!

      Delete
  3. adorable printables! i especially love the "be mine."

    thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment on my burlap coffee sack sign - a bulletin board is another great idea....hmmmm, i do have a few more...... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this project, Claire! Thanks for the tip on the Glad Press & Seal...I'm gonna try that next time! ~Kerri, A Pop of Pretty, apopofpretty.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I appreciate you taking the time to comment - it makes my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...