Sunday, March 18, 2012

Goodwill Tray Makeover

Goodwill Tray Makeover

Back before Christmas I bought this tray from Goodwill for $3.00. It had obviously been the victim of a D.I.Y. gone terribly wrong. Not only was it gold and burgundy, it had an uneven, textured finish.

It had “good bones” but I did not have a plan for it when I bought it. I knew that eventually I would find inspiration.

Gold Tray

Fast forward to March.

After spotting several chalkboard trays on Pinterest, I finally knew what the next life would be for this tired tray.

Pinned Image

Source: Less Than Perfect Life of Bliss via Claire on Pinterest

Pinned Image

Source: CraftOManiac via Claire on Pinterest 

 

Writing on chalkboard

Here’s what I did for my Cinderella-ish makeover . . .

First, I sanded the tray with my new Black & Decker Mouse Detail Sander. It was missing a chunk from the edge in one corner so I left this project for my handy husband, Mr. Mechanic. A little wood filler and she (yes, I have decided the tray is a she) was good as new!

Next, I taped off the edges and outside of the tray with painter’s tape so that I could use my chalkboard spray paint on the inside of the tray. Over the course of one evening, I sprayed about 5 thin coats.

After leaving the chalkboard paint to dry and cure for a few days, I seasoned the tray with a piece of chalk. I knew the finish of the chalkboard would not be perfect, but I also knew that this would not show once it was covered in chalk dust (baby steps for a perfectionist).

Season your chalkboard

Then, since I was going for a shabby look, I did not tape off the inside edges to protect them from my acrylic paint.

Paint the edges

Using a foam brush and Robin’s Egg Blue acrylic paint, I painted the edges and outside of the tray with one coat of paint.

I used a very small amount of paint and was able to achieve a shabby, distressed look without doing anything else to the tray. Even though the gold and burgundy of her past lives were hideous, they add so much character under the blue.

Brush strokes zoom

Now, she can live happily ever after in my kitchen or any other room in my house because she looks so pretty!

Tray in kitchen

I don’t know about you, but I find that Robin’s Egg Blue is one of those chameleon colours that looks great with just about everything!

I know that this makeover is in no way unique, but seeing for myself how easy it was to make this tray pretty again definitely inspires me to go searching for other makeover candidates.

Have you given something a new life with just a little paint and elbow grease?

Today is my 1 month anniversary of blogging!  It has been an amazing month and I am so grateful to all of the people who have commented, followed and/or given me help throughout my first month. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Pin It

P.S. Remember to come back next week for details on my kitchen shelving projects!

12 comments:

  1. Hi from your newest follower I’m visiting from the Grow Your Blog Hop and I would love to have you come check me out. http://craftchickie.blogspot.com/

    Happy Blogging
    Tisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this tray transformation! I'm visiting from the blog hop! Just followed you via GFC. Would love to see you over at my place too!
    Love, Olga
    www.stardust-decorstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in love with chalkboard paint, but haven't actually used it yet. I'm a new follower from the blog hop. :-) Would love if you have a minute to check out my blog! www.punkprincesscreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I am {also} in love with chalk pain! and how cute on a tray! I found you on the blog hop and I am now following you! Stop by
    Myblissfulhappiness.blogspot.com a check me out!

    Stefanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. this project is completely lovely - yum! happy happy spring to you!

    xo

    www.NorthernCottage.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog at the blog hop at C.R.A.F.T. and am enjoying all your projects! I'm your newest follower!

    Happy blogging anniversary!

    Kate
    http://crafty-kate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. cute! I love how your tray turned out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tray turned out great! I can't get enough of that blue color. Yay for one month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! I can't get over how beautiful it looks with the black and that amazing blue! I'm from the blog hop too! Your blog is beautiful! Following! Happy anniversary! My blog just celebrated one month a couple of weeks ago. Hooray for young blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I Love your tray! It is my favorite of all of them. I want one my self now so great job!
    I just celebrated my one month of blogging as well and I love it! Congratulations! We should be friends...;) :)
    ttys,
    amber
    http://snippetsofdesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. FABULOUS DARLING JUST FABULOUS! love it, it turned out great. I am so tickled I inspired you. xo, jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. This turned out so cute!! Love a nice Goodwill find. I'll be featuring you tomorrow at Mop It Up Mondays! Thanks for linking up!

    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I appreciate you taking the time to comment - it makes my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...