Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Kitchen Shelving Transformation – Painted Wooden Boxes

Greetings!

Time for the next project from my kitchen shelving transformation.

Painted Wooden Boxes Banner

I started with three unfinished boxes from the store Jysk. The large box was $4.99, the small boxes were $3.99.

Unfinished boxes no banner

I knew that I wanted to paint them a fun colour after seeing these on the blog Mini Manor.

Pinned Image

Source: Mini Manor via Claire on Pinterest.

Then I went to Home Depot and had a colour tester made of the colour Fargo by CIL. This proved to be very difficult because they did not have the right accent base in stock so the woman had to create my colour in a Behr Paint & Primer tester.

After about five tweaks to the colour formulation she was finally happy with the result.

I opted to use this paint instead of acrylic paint to save money. I knew that one tube of Martha Stewart acrylic paint would not go very far and I needed several coats for good coverage. $5.00 well spent.

I painted one box to make sure that I liked the colour and the way it looked on the shelves with my original colour inspiration, metal tubs from HomeSense.

Ava Apple Macbeth Collection Tub

Lovely!

Using a foam brush, I painted three coats on the outside of each box and one coat on the inside with some touch ups in the corners. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my brush strokes in different directions did not show up once they were dry.

They are far from perfect, but that is probably because I did not do any sort of prep work before I started painting. I could have sanded them but opted not to instead.

The finishing touch was the addition of chalkboard labels cut out with my Silhouette Cameo.

Painted Wooden Boxes 1

I am very happy with the way these boxes brighten up the space.

The black, wicker baskets I used before were too dark and could never fit as much as I needed them to hold.

Keepin' It Real

MUCH better

For under $20 I created custom storage for my space and I still have more than half of my Fargo paint tester left if I want to add other green accents to the kitchen.

I hope you will come back tomorrow when I will be sharing my first Spring/Easter project.

Thanks for visiting!

Pin It

P.S. I will be linking up to these great parties!  Please let me know in the comments if you host a link party I should know about.

Thank you to all the hosts!

4 comments:

  1. So smart! Im going to have to find some of these for my pantry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!

    Thank you for linking up to A Pinteresting Party! :) Hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. stopping by and pinning from the Pinteresting Party. I like that these storage containers are wooden, they will last a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I took a look at your older posts Claire. I need those boxes, and the price is right! I went to the Jysk website and they are so inexpensive, I may buy a whole bunch :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I appreciate you taking the time to comment - it makes my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...