Thursday, September 13, 2012

Golden Wedding Anniversary Sign

Last month my parents received an invitation for a 50th wedding anniversary celebration.

The invitation specified: no gifts, just well wishes. Being crafty, I suggested that I make a family name sign to commemorate the occasion knowing that the materials would cost about the same as a card.

Here is what I came up with:

Dixon Family Name Sign Zoom

The lettering is done in gold (my Mom’s great idea – apple doesn’t fall far from the tree) and provides the perfect contrast against the black paint.

Gold Stencil Zoom

I started with a pine board from Home Depot that I cut to size.

I painted the board (the second time . . . keep reading) with two layers of white (in case I decided to distress it later on) and then two layers of black Martha Stewart acrylic paint (my favourite brand for coverage and quality).

I designed the sign and then cut a contact paper stencil using my Silhouette.

I added a box around my text so that the cut stencil matched the dimensions of my pine board to make the spacing and alignment easier.

I used my new Scotch Blue Delicate Surfaces tape to transfer the stencil to my board. So easy and inexpensive compared to transfer tape!

Contact Paper Stencil

Using a Martha Stewart stencil brush I pounced on gold acrylic paint and learned that it is important to read the drying instructions when you are using metallic paint! It said to wait 1 hour between coats.

I first tried this with a different brand and stencilled too much too soon. It peeled off in pieces (like gold leaf, I assume) when I removed the contact paper. I had to start all over again.

Lesson learned!

I touched up the gold paint that bled under the stencil with a fine-tipped brush. I used the positive space of the stencil to cover the necessary letters and numbers and then painted around the edges.

After showing a photo of the painted and stencilled board to my parents via email, my Dad suggested that I add something to the corners. I searched the Silhouette store and couldn’t find anything I liked so I went with the next best thing, stripes!

I used this trick from KariAnne of Thistlewood Farm (see step #4) to create easy no-measure stripes using pin striping painter’s tape (since we already established that I don’t like to measure stripes here) and then stencilled them with one coat of gold paint.

I left the top and bottom edges of the board black but painted the sides with gold to make the gold of the stripes wrap around the board.

Dixon Sign Rocking Chair Vertical

Isn’t this a great personalized gift for a milestone anniversary?  Silver, gold, platinum . . .

Dixon Sign Mantel Orton WM


Pin It

P.S. You can see the rest of my front porch here.  I’m looking forward to switching it up for fall!


I link up at:
Serenity Now, I {Heart} Naptime, Under The Table And Dreaming, Nifty Thrifty Things, Simply Klassic Home, Home Stories A to Z, Craftomaniac, Skip To My Lou, Not JUST A Housewife, A Bowl Full Of Lemons, Alderberry Hill, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, A Diamond In The Stuff, Creatively Living, The Winthrop Chronicles, Clean & Scentsible, Oopsey Daisy, Lil’ Luna, Someday Crafts, Live.Laugh.Rowe, The 36th Avenue, aka design, House of Hepworths, 52 Mantels, Thrifty Decorating, Crafty Scrappy Happy, How To Nest For Less, Tatertots & Jello, The Grant Life, It’s Overflowing, Lolly Jane, Too Much Time, Six Sisters’ Stuff, Positively Splendid, My {Re}purposed Life, Unrefined By Design, Just Us Four, Liz Marie Blog,and The Crafted Sparrow

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, Claire!! No bleeding, no blobbing - just perfect letters. It looks like it was machine done, only made with more love! And these days, anyone who stays married for 50 years definitely deserves a gift like this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing job Claire! My parents' 50th is coming up in a few years and they would love something like this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea! WIsh I had seen this before my parents 30th! I will definitely have to use this in the future :) Thanks for your awesome Silhouette ideas that keep me inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay....I love your sign....but that chair? Seriously? I love it in all it's chippiness

    Have a blessed and wonderful day and thanks so much for the shout out!

    blessings,
    katianne

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great Claire! I'm sure they will love this. I'm thinking I should come up with something similar for my parents who celebrated their 40th this past June. Another reason I would love a Silhouette!
    Looks professionally done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a smart cookie - what a great gift idea.

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful gift idea Claire I wish I had a Silhouette

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I appreciate you taking the time to comment - it makes my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...